St. Ignace Municipal Marina 13 South State Street St. Ignace, Michigan
Harbor Reservation System 1-800-447-2757
Marina Office: 906-643-8131 City Office: 906-643-8797 VHF Channel 16-9-6
Lat: 45° 51\' 58" N Long: 84° 43\' 06" W
St. Ignace, Michigan History Our St. Ignace, Michigan History dates back more than 300 years and is rich with Native American (Ojibwa, Huron, Odawa), Europeans, French, and American history. It is the third oldest continuously inhabited city in the United States and has always thrived because of its rich soil and active waterways enabling farming, travel and trade. Jacques Marquette was a priest and French explorer that established a mission in St. Ignace in the year of 1671. The city was named after St. Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuit religion. The Jesuits left in 1705 and the English then took over. After the American Revolutionary War ended, the village of St. Ignace became an official part of the United States of America.
St. Ignace was incorporated as a village on Feb 23rd, 1882 and a year later was a city. The year of 1882 also brought new opportunities to the area. Railroads connecting St. Ignace to Detroit became a key area of industry for the area shipping out irone-ore and lumber down state. In the early 1900s, commercial fishing also thrived and accommodations, docks and businesses were established along the shoreline.
These historical events help develop St. Ignace into the successful and beautiful city it is today. It has become a vacation wonderland for those in search of beaches, boating, waterfilled activities, golfing, shopping, fishing, skiing, history, entertainment, and more!
Photo by Gina Harman of Father Marquette Sculpture located at the Museum of Ojibwa Culture
Photo by Gina Harman of Michilimackinac Cove
Michilimackinac Cove Michilimackinac Cove, also known as the Kiwanis Beach Park, is located just east of the St. Ignace Marina. It is across from the Museum of Ojibwa Culture and the resting place of Father Marquette - shown above. It is a famous landing place for 17th century adventurers, explorers, voyageurs, traders, coureurs de bois, soldiers and missionaries, who followed indian routes to this shore; Brule, Nicolet, Dablon, Marquette, Perrot, Jolliet, La Salle, Hennepin, de Tonty, Duluth, Lahontan, Cadillac, making history here.
While visiting, please take the opportunity to visit the Museum of Ojibwa Culture that was built upon the site of a Huron village as well as the St. Ignace Mission.
Museum Site Facts and Credits: Woodland Indian Culture, French Jesuit Mission, Significant Archaeological Site, National Historic Landmark, Michigan, Registered Historic Site
Museum store features area's largest selection of Native American books, music and locally-made certified Native American art and craft. It also offers an ongoing video presentation and outdoor exhibits. The Museum is located at the north end of the boardwalk, next to the Chamber of Commerce and accros from Kiwanis Beach Park/ Michilimackinac Cove. Free parking and group Tours are welcome.
500 North State Street St. Ignace, MI 49781 (906) 643-9161
Photo by Gina Harman of the Museum of Ojibwa Culture, Father Marquette Park and Memorial